5 tips on using Garam Masala Powder
Garam Masala Powder is a spice blend which is the base or foundation of Indian cooking. It is very fragrant. The aroma can easily over powder your dishes which is why the ultimate rule and tip when cooking with Garam Masala is to use less than more. A great way to remember is that ‘a little goes a long way’. Garam Masala is essential to nearly all Indian dishes. Most of my spice blends contain some parts of Garam Masala so you don’t need to use it, but I recommend that if you want awesome Indian food, then use a combination of Garam Masala with one of our other spice blends.
A lot of people really mess up their Indian dishes by adding way too much Garam Masala. Our spice blend is particularly potent and fragrant so it is better to always use less and add more towards the end of cooking when you can taste your dish. If you mistakenly use too much Garam Masala you are going to have a dish that tastes like bitter peppery cardamom and cumin along with various other spices. It will not taste good. Many new cooks in Indian food do this mistake time and time again. I have written my 5 tips on using Garam Masala. I hope this helps you to get started with Indian food.
Top 5 tips on using Garam Masala:
- Use a teaspoon per half pound of vegetables or meat.
- Add oil and Garam Masala to the pan at the same time, then turn up the heat to medium so that the oil slowly heats the garam masala without burning it. This will help release the spice oils from the garam masala into your main oil for cooking.
- Add a dusting of garam masala at the end of cooking.
- Mix the garam masala with a marinade such as yogurt.
- Mix the garam masala with salt and other dry seasonings to give it an awesome kick to rice dishes or other grain based dishes.